Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Visa for the UK

Getting a Working Holiday visa for the UK is a little more difficult then an Australian visa and more expensive as well. The Australian visa was a few questions and a couple of clicks online. As long as you're part of the Common Wealth, have good health and have money in the bank, your set to go. The Australian visa costs roughly $180.00 for a year and you can only work at one employer for a maximum of three months. The UK Visa costs $415.00 for two years. The best website that I like to use for information is http://www.anyworkanywhere.com.
When I started to apply for the UK Visa I thought it was going to be easy, but it wasn't. At the moment I live in Niagara falls with no car and can only get around by walking or taking a Speedy, an illegal taxi company that has a flat rate to get around the Niagara Falls area. So I applied online, filled out my application form, and paid the amount due for the visa. By the way, if you don't get accepted for your visa, you do not get a refund.
I set up an appointment, to get a biometric enrollment that is part of the visa process, on one of my days off. The biometric enrollment is fingerprinting, having photographs taken, having your passport taken and showing them bank statements to show you have money to support yourself for the first two months in the UK. Of course I'm all ready to go to downtown Toronto early in the morning for the interview, but my Speedy cab never came. I missed the bus to take me to Toronto. I was pissed off and had to make a new appointment for the next day. So everything went fine at the interview and it was over in fifteen minutes. On my application form I had a second address to send it to, Lauren's parents house. The reason is, I didn't know how long it would take to get my passport back from Ottawa and I wanted it to go somewhere safe. It is somewhere safe now, it's at the post office by Lauren's parents house and I can't even get it. Fraud has gotten so bad that if all your information doesn't match the address the item is posted to, you don't get your parcel. My driver's license doesn't match Lauren's parents address that I delivered it to. I called Canada Post customer service and they told me they didn't know what to do. The only loop hole was to change my address, Thank God it didn't cost me any money to change it. I went down to the Motor Vehicle branch in Niagara Falls, to get my drivers license changed. It was really simple to change but there is a new rule that you can't be smiling in your driver's license photo. I might get a letter in the mail saying to come back and get a new photo taken. Of course I got a big stupid smile on my face. When I return to Richmond Hill to get my passport I hope I will have no problems, I'm crossing my fingers...

Trev

No comments:

These are a few of our favourite things! Click on them to buy them yourself!