Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Here's a copy of an email I just sent to my mother....should sum things up nicely for you....

Hi Mama,

Not in the mood to write much, but wanted to keep you posted so you know I'm okay. This keyboard I'm typing on is retarded....I have to practically punch the bloody space bar to make spaces between my words (extra annoying). Trev and I have been holed up in our little freezing cold apartment in Lagos trying to get better (we're sick as dogs) and getting nowhere. Due to cabin fever we've ventured out today (and with only 4 tv channels, all in Portuguese, we've gotten extremely bored). You wouldn't believe what it took for us to get here....I think we were doomed from the start. The night before we had our 6:40am plane ride to Faro, we stayed with Franco. Mistake #1. Mistake #2 was listening to Franco when he suggested that because our flight was so early, that we go out drinking instead of going to bed early. It turns out we (drunk and all) missed our bus to take us to Victoria Station where the train would take us to Gatwick. Then, with backpacks on our back (and remember...drunk and now sleep deprived too), we hopped in a cab to take us to Victoria Station to take the train to the airport. Just as we pulled up outside the station, I realized that I'd forgotten to bring the Number 1 thing on every travellers list....you guessed it! My passport! By this time, Trev and I were at eachother's throats and this really didn't help matters much. So Trev told the driver to go back to where he picked us up (by this point the meter was at 17 pounds - $34). We phoned Franco on the way and told him to grab my passport, and our travel insurance forms (which we forgot in our drunken stupor as well) and to meet us outside with it. At this point Trev asked the cabbie how much it would cost to just take us to the airport and the cabbie said...in his British accent "well with all your mucking about...140 pounds!" So that was not an option....Finally we somehow made it to the airport and then came within 5-10 minutes of missing the plane. We were running to the gate while I was noticing that my pants fall down while I run, so I've got one hand holding my purse and the other holding my pants up, 'cause as funny as it would've been for everyone but me, I wasn't willing to give Trevor the satisfaction of telling everyone the story of the time I was running to the gate and by the time I got there my pants were around my ankles. So we eventually made it here. And it's friggin' cold and raining and that's how we have gotten sick. We're taking the bus to Seville, Spain on Friday and then we're there over the weekend. I'll write to you from Seville to let you know how things are....

I miss you much! And love you LOTS! And have to sarcastically "Thank You" for spoiling me with the Skylofts.....everywhere I stay now is that much more of a shithole because of it ;)
ah well...at least I have the smell of the lotion,shampoo and conditioner to get me through the dirty showers I'll be experiencing for the next while....

Please write soon,
Love,
Lauren

No comments:

These are a few of our favourite things! Click on them to buy them yourself!